Monday, July 5, 2010

Stop this train...

Ants are an interesting bunch. They just do. Business is business, and they take care of what's right in front of them, with no feeling, no emotional rise and fall, no regret. Just action...

I'm not myself lately. At least I don't feel like I am. It's evident that I've reached another big time in my life. The tides changing, the wind is shifting, and the metaphors are stale. Leaving my job at Saint Martin is a decision I had to make for grad school, so that I could teach in public high school, but the transition seems harder than I probably thought it would be. I think physically and mentally it will be relatively easy, but emotionally, I'm not sure. During an assembly on the last day of school, a couple kids presented/read letters to me in front of the whole school because I was leaving. One of the students who I had grown close to in my two years mentioned in his letter that he loved me like a second father and that he knows I'll always be there for him. I cried in front of the entire building. It was truly one of the saddest/happiest moments of my life. Even with that, it's hard for me to measure my success so far.

Over the past few years, I've been in a limbo...whether with career ideas, personal goals, relationships, etc.... Perched on the proverbial fence never feels comfortable. When I started going after the things that I had decided I want for myself, I could not help but look backwards and inward. Halfway between my 24th and 25th birthdays, I'm not where I wanted to be. I guess I always just pictured things differently when I was younger. Teaching wasn't even something I had thought about. Having always been positioned for success when I was younger, and almost always gaining the achievements I set out for, I guess I just thought that the "big decision" stuff would come quickly and easily as I got older. Because it didn't come so quickly, sometimes I feel I've failed...at least partially. Maybe it sounds crazy, and maybe it is crazy, but it's how I feel sometimes. At least I know that I've done some good these past couple of years.

The whole dating thing has been an experience over the past year. I just want to be happy. I desire to find that confidence in a relationship and in myself to just be. That whole part of my life has taken me on a ride, that ultimately, never ends well. In my heart of hearts, I know I deserve to be happy and in love...and I know I could be that for someone else. Seeing my sister get married, people I graduated with engaged/married, and my cousin getting married soon, I guess I just wish I was making more progress in that area. I know I'm still young though, so I'm not exactly beating myself up. I assume everything will all fall into place sooner or later. It's that in between time that's tough. The figuring, over-thinking, and all that... We'll see.

Ants seem to have it easy. Then again, they can't experience happiness of the things ahead. Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of an ant hill.

- Daley

No comments:

Post a Comment